Monday, October 09, 2006

CAD images of the full Calder case range

I've been told it is risky to show CAD images - that people will expect the final product to look exactly like the CAD version - and be disappointed if it doesn't.

I prefer to believe that the readers of this blog understand the difference between CAD and reality. Recent posts show pre-production cases with their dark chocolate brown leather outer covering.

The full line up is - acoustic guitar, classical guitar, electric guitar, violin, laptop.

Prices from approximately $3400 for the laptop to just under $5000 for the acoustic.

calder case range_1.jpg

calder case range 3.jpg

Categories: laptop case

category:

Calder blog home page
Calder website home page

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Though I would love to have one of the laptop cases, it's priced over my budget. I do know the value of hand-crafted goods but for this price I could buy a new tricked out MacBook Pro. So deciding between a new laptop or a new case, the laptop wins. My maximum would probably be US$ 300-600. But your cases are beautiful. Sigh.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Nick CC said...

Edwin - good to read you like my laptop.

The price is very high - and I have had to accept that the market at this price will be small.

I decided about a year ago that I wanted to design the very best cases I could and have them hand made here in the UK. When I took that decision I had to accept that the price would be extremely high.

I have a hope that in the future I may be able to create cases that are somewhat less expensive without compromising on the quality of materials or workmanship. This will be tough but maybe possible.

9:09 PM  
Blogger mba said...

hi nick,
I love your cases, but I need to ask you about the CAD software you like best for designing these (I'm assuming you did the design work from start to finish)? I'm not a rocket scientist, or even a programmer for that matter, but I do want to design a line of laptop bags and am wondering what you would recommend for a guy like me, who is not familiar with this kind of (CAD?) software at all. By the way, my bags/case would be constructed of different denier nylons, for what that's worth to you.

I wish you great success and send my thanks in advance from my home here in the US.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Nick CC said...

mba - glad you like our work.

Barry Noble is the man who does the CAD work he uses Solidworks which is the industry standard.

I have dabbled with Google SketchUP which is free and gives an idea of what 3D CAD software is like to use. If your laptop design is simple you may find SketchUp is all you need.

I wish you the very best of success with your project.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home