Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Calder Guitar Case Story Ch 9 Hard Case Prototype emerges

Oct 04-Jan 05

After Nashville the next big date in the music product calendar is January's LA NAMM - the big mamma of trade fairs. I'd missed my initial target of showing protoypes in Fall 'O4 so by Jan I had to have one to show distributors.

Like everything else in this process creating a working prototype took much longer to achieve than I ever imagined.
[LEARNING POINT - PRODUCT DESIGN IS HUGELY TIME CONSUMING - BUDGET ACCORDINGLY]

Having gone through major panics in the run up to Nashville I implored designer Michael Mailling to be sure the prototype was ready well in time for LA.

To add a little spice to life my wife had come up with a plan for the whole family to be in India for a month over Christmas - we'd get back 5 days before the NAMM show...India - how could I not go ? But it was the worst timing ever.

Dec 12th
Left the UK - Michael assured me all would be well. From Indian cyber cafes constant emailling for updates and re-assurances. In Bangalore I got a bad bad chest infection...life is rich indeed. A pre-Christmas call to Michael gave some comfort as he reported significant progress.

Wed Jan 12th (5 days before depart for LA)
Back in the UK - hear that the machine making the case lining had crashed losing us 2 days.. aaaahh... Jet-lagged and culture-shocked my nerves leapt to code red.
[LEARNING POINT - IF YOU'RE USING YOUR OWN MONEY YOU NEED A STRONG CONSTITUTION TO CREATE A NEW PRODUCT FROM SCRATCH]

Fri Jan 14th (3 days to go)
The day Michael was to deliver the protoype so there was time for me to check it out. Michael calls - the company making latches and handles are behind schedule - they will have to work over the weekend - will deliver Monday - the day I leave.

Mon 17th 2pm
Still not ready - the prototype handle had not been delivered. Michael's associate John Wright is hand carving one from a lump of plastic...they will meet me at my overnight address near Heathrow Airport.

Mon 17th 9pm
Text from Michael...'we're working overnight, meet you at the airport.' How close to the wire is this ? Drink lots of red wine to dull the nerves.

Tues18th 7am
Another text 'We're driving through snow - should be on time.'

Tues 18th 8am
Arrive at Heathrow - no sign of Michael and John. Call them - they are close

Tues 18th 8.15
They arrive - I have 10 mins to look at what they've got. Looks exciting but I am so wired I really can't take in anything they are saying.

Here's some images of the prototype in construction, and of the moment of delivery.

The two halves of the MDF protype tool
MDF 2 halves head
MDF 2 hlvs 3q
Thermoforming the foam liner.
Thermo lini
Thermoforming the outer shell.
Thermo forming hardd
The Expanded Polystyrene inner shell and foam lining come together.
prototype core:eps
John Wright looks as if he's wondering if the stressed out client is happy.
NCC w proto hw
Michael and John looking bleary after 20+ hours of non-stop work.
MM & JW at Hrw

categories: early development

Calder blog homepage
Calder website homepage

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home